1990-present

Considering the hour, I'm not sure that I should be saying goodnight or good morning, but I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say.
This is going to be a post praising 90s fashion. Be prepared. If you were to ask mebthis time last year what I thought of oversized, all-black clothing or layers upon layers of crop-tops, I would have shuddered at the idea, likely thanking God that we've moved past such a horrific time and that hopefully we'd all find the strength to move further away from it. But now I realize that it wasn't all terrible, that we just need to choose what to bring back very carefully.
I was inspired to write this post after watching the movie Uncle Buck (1989).

What I most admire about 90s fashion (and when I say this, I mean the style in the movies and in the magazines), is that it seems to be mainly just millions of combinations of basics with statement pieces to make the outfits more personal. After all the craziness of the fashion world in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, this post is for the minimalist dressers of the century's final decade.

I think it's important to acknowledge the people who were able to look good in the 90s, without succumbing to the pressure to dress like children well into adulthood (*cough* Spice Girls/numerous boybands). And also those who managed to somehow, somewhat tastefully wear neon. It's these people who knew when enough was
enough and were able to pull us from that mess. (Let's try to forget the hiccup in the world of style that was the early 2000s--they were like a nightmare, pulling out every bad piece of clothing that the 20th century never got to wear.)

This post is for the Tia Russell's, the Cher
Horowitz's, the Rachel Green's, and the DJ Tanner's, and all of the actresses and models who paid stylists that did their jobs well. I would also like to recognize all the men that didn't dress like "they just fell out of bed and put on some baggy pants and take their greasy hair--ew-- and cover it up with a backwards cap." So many of you continue to be style icons, the characters and the real people, and that is wicked cool.

So much love,
Brynn

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Polyvore

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author

Follow my posts as I dream of someday.
So much love,
Brynn